Thursday 12 June 2008

Real Women in Miss England Final

This year the Miss England final will represent real women in the UK like never before. In earlier posts I have talked about Chloe Marshall, the first size 16 finalist, but it seems there is another curvier figure in the running.

Leah Green, 22, An aspiring model who was rejected by leading model agencies for being a size 12, has beaten 200 other girls to be crowned Miss London. Although a size 12 is clearly not plus size - it is true to say that Leah is a more real and healthy representation of women in the UK.

Following the trend for size zero models Leah talks about her rejection by modelling agencies. 'I have tried to get into modelling,' she said. 'But I have been turned away as I'm apparently too big to be a regular model. I've been told I'm too fat and I need to lose weight. One agent told me I would have to work hard to achieve the gaunt look he was after.

The London College of Fashion graduate, who works as a design assistant at French Connection, said the industry was fixated with thin models and was responsible for many girls developing eating disorders.

'I helped out with London Fashion Week last year and many of the models looked like they were about to keel over and die,' she said.

The Miss England final takes place on 18 July at the Troxy, in Stepney, London.

No comments: