Monday 19 November 2007

Keep Fit at Work


I am one of the many people in the UK who spend an unhealthy 8 hours or more per day desk bound at my PC. As necessary as this is for me, I often feel that it has a large part to play in my weight issues. I try to exercise daily and spend a minimum of 1 hour a day walking, but in comparison to my partner who spends all day on his feet I am just not burning enough calories because of long periods of physical inactivity.

It was only a matter of time until someone latched onto this and Gamercize have been the ones to do it. They have launched an exercise stepper which sits discreetly under your desk and is linked to your keyboard or mouse. Stop stepping and they stop working!

Equivalent to a brisk walking pace, the GZ Power Stepper, which is height adjustable and fits neatly under a desk, can help people burn up to 400 calories an hour. Keeping moving also helps circulation, reducing the risk of DVT for the desk bound, as well as improving general fitness and muscle tone. 'The beauty of keeping fit in this way is that the computer helps to take the minds of reluctant exercisers off the physical effort they're making because they can choose an activity that they enjoy while stepping - whether that is emailing friends, writing blogs or shopping online.'

What a great time to try this out. Christmas brings tonnes of over indulgence so is a great motivation to try to add a little more activity to your day. It may even help trim down for that fab christmas party event outfit.

No comments: