Thursday 30 August 2007

Are Low Rise Jeans for Curvy Women?


I came across an interesting article today about plus size women wearing low rise jeans. The author had tested a pair for a day and decided categorically that they AREN'T for plus size women. It occured to me that this generalisation is what can confuse some fabulous ladies with voluptuous curves as fortunately we are all unique.


The author says - 'The first 20 minutes were okay but when I decided to sit down all hell broke loose. I felt my back all out and my panties were showing. I began to feel sooo uncomfortable. Well after pulling up my jeans all day and I mean all day. I decided that low-rise jeans aren’t for curvy chicks. I don’t even know why they were made for plus size women. It’s the most uncomfortable thing in the world'.


Now I am going to presume that this plus size diva is a pear shape, which means fab hips and curves. Getting jeans to sit just right on this type of curve will always be a bit of a mission, and yes, you would be better finding a pair to sit a bit higher up. However, I am more of a traditional apple shape (and short to boot). This means my hips and waist are pretty much the same size - low rise jeans fit me like a dream and I wouldn't be seen in any other type as due to my height, if I wear mid waist or higher I look like i've purposefully hiked my jeans up to my ears in a Simon Cowell impression.


My advise is to try different styles of jeans until you find a cut that makes you feel 100% comfortable. Once you know what that style is you will be able to purchase jeans easily. One great place to buy plus size jeans in the UK in sizes up to a size 36 is Curvety.com

DEFINITION low rise - worn by both men and women, are jeans intended to sit low on, or below, the hips. They are also called low-cut jeans, hipsters, hip-huggers and low-riders. Usually they sit at least three inches lower than the belly button. Low-rise jeans have existed since the 1960s, but regained popularity in the 1990s and 2000s. Britney Spears is known for regaining the popularity.


Let me know what style of jeans suits you best and any funny stories of jeans that HAVEN'T been quite right!

No comments: